Monday, February 18, 2008

A Winter Wonderland...at least the first two days...

This is where we spent Valentines!! The sign is about 10 feet tall!!
Snow drifts everywhere!! About 6' deep on the flat, but 12' to 20' deep from the plows and snowblowers!! Imagine the biggest Loader you have ever seen with chains on the 10' tires and a huge snowblower on the front. Yep, that's what they use up there.
Who ever heard of a snowmobile crossing at a Mcdonald's? The snow was up to the roof line!!

My Snow Angel!! She's even cute in her helmet!!

Dave and I rode up on these beauties so we turned the other way to not scare them. They were bedded down under a very large pine tree when we arrived.

We saw lots of these!! I petted this one just before the picture. jk

They even named a road after us outside West Yellowstone!! Dave would'nt let me steal the sign.

Once a mechanic, always a mechanic. A little minor overheating problem for Amy.

Look at these two babes!! Posing in front of a frosted tree on top of Two Tops. Amy called it Dr. Seuss Land!
When they told us we would see frosted trees, I thought they would be trees dusted with snow. I've seen plenty of them, but never anything like this. It was breathtaking!!

My favorite picture of a Winter Wonderland. Was it cold? Only -6 in the morning, but about 15 by the middle of the day, and maybe even 20 something by late afternoon.

I told you she was cute in her helmet!

We could only have our helmets and headsocks off up here for a few minutes, or body parts would freeze and fall right off! Thank goodness for good gear and hand warmers!! She's cute with or without her helmet I think!! Isn't the frosted tree behind us amazing!!
I mentioned the first two days were awesome, well the next two were a little more shocking. We went to dinner fri. night and came out to find this at our motel. Yes it's a fire truck!!! Our motel had a propane explosion in the laundry room under where Dave and Amy were staying and the back 6-8 rooms don't exist anymore. We are all safe, and no one was hurt badly, but the snowmobiles didn't come out so well. Thank goodness they had smelled the gas and reported it, then moved rooms, or ... Luckily, both of our rooms received smoke damage only.

Lisa and my room was right upstairs above my green snowmobile!! This is what we found the next day. They evacuated us to the Holiday Inn friday night with the clothes on our backs! Can you say popsicles? Green, orange, and black ones. The suburban and the explorer behind it were destroyed!! Our snowmobiles all have heat damage, expecially Dave's orange one and the black one by the suburban. Thank goodness for insurance.
About 5:00 PM sat.afternoon the firefighters (who were awesome!! ) packed up each of the rooms of the 64 people evacuated and brought it down for us to sort through. We were not able to ever return to our rooms because of the damage, so they bagged and tagged everything, even Lisa's roses, and brought the "Stuff" out for us to claim. We were reminded many times, sometimes out loud, and sometimes in our hearts, it is only "stuff" and because of the time of the fire, all the priceless, irreplaceable things, all 64 were spared!! If it had happened at midnight... well who knows?

God bless the fearless Firefighters around the world that risk their lives saving strangers. Just another day at the office? I don't think so. Especially those volunteers in West Yellowstone!! Brock, Vince, and Alice, to name a few we met. One girl firefighter Lisa hugged was 18!! She cried. They worked 24 hours straight, in -6 to 15 degree weather, oh, and snowing all night too!!
And because of them...
Dave and Amy had these t-shirts made from pictures taken by one of the locals. Their room was right behind the pine tree!

4 comments:

Nick & Alyson said...

How scary! I am glad to hear that all of you came out alright. Beside the fire, it looks like you had a good time up in the freezing cold weather. I would have probably sided with Amy and chosen Cancun.

Angee said...

Glad to hear everyone is safe. A bit scary if you ask me. Next time opt for Cancun.

Those trees look amazing. I'll bet it was beautiful. I'll have to take your pictures at what they're worth because you won't catch me in the kind of weather. Much, much to cold for me...

rand said...

Wow. Just breathtakingly beautiful. I'm not so big on cold anymore, but I'd LOVE to see that. That's where God lives. And again, I'm so thankful you all made it safely out. I also second it on the fire fighters.

Pam said...

Wow! Now there is a story to tell the grandkids...

Instead of walking through snow 12' deep both ways to school---you survived a blazing inferno because of the need to eat. Thank Heaven for eating!!

Kidding aside---I am grateful all came out well and the "things" can all be replaced.

Never a dull moment.