Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Are we there yet?

Welcome to Independence. The picture above is of the Community of Christ (formerly RLDS) Temple, which is across the street from the temple lot. On the temple lot is a little building that is the headquarters of a church called "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Temple Lot." We enjoyed the history of Independence, but with so many churches fighting over a little bit of ground we found it a rather strange place.
Apparently this is how the "modern" traveler travels. Headphones on ears, iPod video in one hand watching Stargate Atlantis, Sony PSP in the other hand, ugly doll in your arms, a comfortable shirt and shorts, and crocs to keep your feet cool. No lack of entertainment for the road.
Aside from the completely steamy sweaty weather, we LOVED Kansas City. We were absolutely surprised by the amount of art and design coolness we found, plus a lot of interesting architecture. It is a VERY nice town. One thing we explored (mostly for the architecture) is the very first shopping district in the country designed for cars. It is about 6 blocks by six blocks and all the buildings are based on the archtecture of Seville, Spain. It is STUNNING. Huge towers, tiles roofs, fountains. Truly beautiful and very unique for a shopping district.
We loved the new modern addition to the turn of the century Neilson Atkins Art museum. And again, aside from the fact that we were melting, we loved the Kansas City Sculpture gardens.
What's not to love about a gigantic badminton birdie outside a 1900's building? I LOVED it.
More art. Bradley, Hannah, and Gunther must get VERY sick of me posing them for pictures everywhere we go. I stepped in for this one.

3 comments:

The Biblers said...

I wish we would have been in town so we could hang out with you. I was in Yellowstone while you were in Kansas City and it was nice to have a break from the steamy heat!

Kalyn Denny said...

I've been to the Nelson-Atkins museum twice and enjoyed it both times.

Angee said...

My favorite place in Kansas City (besides Draper sisters' houses, oh, and the Kansas City Royals stadium) was the Crayola Store in the Crown City Mall. I guess that would make it my 4th favorite place. :)