Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pam's Recipe for "Fat Noodles"

I took a photo with my phone and Pam wrote out her recipe, so I thought we should share!

 Grandma Eula Denny's Homemade Chicken and Noodles (aka "Fat Noodles")
 (Makes about 8 generous servings, recipe from Pam)


First make broth: 
Boil 1 Whole chicken for 2-3 hours in 8 quarts of water with 8 generous teaspoons of Knorr chicken bouillon added. Remove chicken from broth. Strain if needed.  Let chicken cool and pull the meat off the bones and cut in chunks.

Noodles:
4 eggs
4 egg shells of water (use ½ side of the egg shell)
¾ t. salt
3+ cups flour (must be stiff enough to roll thin)
½ to 1 cup more flour (used while rolling out)

Mix eggs, water, and salt; beat with a fork until well blended.
Add flour, 1 cup at a time to the egg/water mixture. Mix until the dough is able to be kneaded. Knead well. Roll out on a well floured board until very thin.  (At this point you can let the dough rest for 30 minutes or more before you cut the noodles if desired.)

Cut into noodles about 1/3 inch wide using a pizza cutter. Be very generous with the flour during the rolling and cutting steps.  (Grandma Eula Denny always let the noodles dry for a few hours before she cooked them, but Pam says you don't have to do that.)

Drop noodles, a few at a time, into the boiling broth. Stir in between while dropping in the noodles so they don’t stick together. Add chunks of the chicken. Cook at a low simmer for about 40 minutes, stir occasionally.

2 comments:

Darren Draper said...

I love fat noodles!

Made me tear up and miss Grandma when I first saw you post this on FaceBook.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kalyn Denny said...

I do always think of her when I eat these. Definitely Grandma was a master at making them, but I have to say the ones I had at Pams were about as good as they get! Grandma would like knowing that we're keeping the tradition alive I think.