Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Semper Fi Matt, and God Speed for your safe return.

Even before he was offiicially part of the Corps, he paid respects to the fallen Marines at the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I walked in a found him there. The picture was not staged. Semper Fi, Matt.
From one Salty Dog Sailor to his handsome grandson in his Dress Blues... May God bless and keep you as you serve our Country. Take care, be safe, and remember me always. Love, Grandpa.

They report to basic training in baggy jeans and t-shirts, 13 short, but tough weeks later, sharp as a tack and all grown up. Even Mom couldn't get him to wear a tie. Go figure.

We hadn't seen him for 13 weeks, and this was our first look after they finished a 4 mile run. Right in front of us and even Travis couldn't get him to laugh, or even look at us, even with Mother cheering.
Now, Thurs morning at 8:30 AM he is off to Okinawa for two years. We love you, you have made us proud, and helped us to appreciate at a whole new level all our men and women of the Armed Services around the world that are fighting to keep America the land of the free. I hope we never take our freedom and the quality of life we enjoy for granted again.
Anyone that would like to say goodbye to Matt is welcome to come by tomorrow eve, or call him at 801-510-4629 one last time. He appreciates all your love and prayers in his behalf, as do we. Once he gets settled in Okinawa we will post an email address for those that want to visit with him. Of course, you all will be connected w/ that Facelift or book thing right? I gotta get out of the techie darkages I guess. Or not, my phone still works well.
Love to all, especially you Son, You will always be my #1!!
Love, Dad




4 comments:

Pam said...

Good luck Matt...we love you

erin said...

Good luck Matt. Have an amazing time living abroad. I'm kinda jealous of all the places you are going to see.

Kalyn Denny said...

The best of everything to you Matt as you head out on the adventure of your life! I hope I can come to Okinawa to visit, would love to go there.

Lisa said...

Wow! What a great blog you put up Mark; thanks for all the pictures and comments.

Well, we got him off at the airport, and I was doing great until a really nice man said, "Oh you are on orders" and he took him up to the counter and said "let's put you up to the front" and then he said to another person, "take good care of him please" and THEN he said to Mark, Lindy, and I "let me get you a gate pass so you can go through with him and be with him for awhile!"

That's when I got really tearful. It was good to be there a little longer, though we did walk through that controversial body scanner thing at security. No big deal.

Thanks to all for all your support - I will post an address as soon as I have it.